Monday, January 18, 2010

Reminder

The unrelenting madness of the modern world means that every moment is accounted for, rushed, absorbed, calculated, appraised and treasured. To control this madness the modern day human relies on a series of electronic aids to attempt to control as many of these moments as is possible. Email, calendars, alarms, reminders, to do lists, personal assistants – whole economies are kept afloat through the reminder industry.

Then there are the human elements – assistants, wake up calls, secretaries; people whose lives revolve around organizing moments for others and hopefully themselves.

I am beautifully disorganized. When I know I need to be somewhere or meet someone I am always ridiculously early – but the key is actually remembering the occasion or to set a reminder. This is where, for me, the process falls over.

I have no interest in filing, cataloguing, arranging, organizing, reminders, alarms – I like my life to take a more fluid path – free from the constraints of planning. This is nigh on impossible and instead I find I am missing out on a lot as I am unprepared, disorganized and often absent.

What is the answer?

Option A: I could move into the hills, see no one, wear a loin cloth, live off the land and communicate with smoke signals but I have never liked camping and am not great at hunting or fishing so not a viable option.

Option B: I could drift aimlessly through my current life, living each moment, setting no reminders – however I would frustrate every person I know and end up alone and probably at option A.

Option C: Utilise the technology available but not overuse it. I use my mobile phone alarm and a Google calendar – this is probably enough, along with a complete reorganization of my bedroom and cupboard.

I think that C is the only respectable option. I think that reminders are tools to assist us in navigating through the confusing maze of our lives and should be embraced not feared. By using reminders I can keep on top of things, remain friends with my mates and don’t end up living in a cave and being mistaken for a yeti by inquisitive children or conspiracy theorists.

No comments:

Post a Comment